Sunday 9 March 2014

Statement


I have wanted to study at MSA since I decided that I wanted to study architecture. My determination was only made stronger following my visit to the university campus and in particular the refurbished Chatham Tower at the recent open day. During the open day I was very impressed with the facilities on offer, including the expansive working areas and resources available.  MSA is consistently ranked amongst the best in the UK has a very good reputation, which allows it to build strong links with architects in the North West. This strong reputation also means that upon graduating from the course, graduates of MSA are highly thought of, increasing work opportunities. I would like to study in this challenging environment in order to bring the best out of me.

I have recently had the opportunity to visit The Imperial War Museum in Manchester and thought the design of the building was very impressive. From the outside of the building there are lots of curved surfaces with a central fin area that contains the lift to the viewing platform. Daniel Libeskind was the architect that designed the building and he wanted to represent a globe torn apart by conflict. I think he has managed to achieve this aim whilst keeping the beauty of the building intact. The sketch of the lift that I have included below shows the architect’s attention to detail and the continuous theme with the design of the building.

My favourite architect is Frank Lloyd Wright. He has produced many iconic buildings including Fallingwater and the New York Guggenheim Museum. Fallingwater in particular shows how he respected nature and made his design work in unison with the environment.

The building I would most like to experience in person is Fallingwater, by Frank Lloyd Wright. Fallingwater was constructed between 1936 and 1939. It was originally made for the Kaufmann family but in 1963 they donated it to Western Pennsylvania Conservancy. In 1964 it was opened to the public. I particularly like how the building is built onto a waterfall and built within the trees and surrounding environment. Fallingwater looks like it was always meant to be there and I think that is great achievement of the architect. I also like how the building is constructed on several different levels and looks completely different when looking at it from different perspectives.  

No comments:

Post a Comment